Shared March 2, 2018
Watch the sequel about 4:55 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CgC2...
Watch the unedited run here: https://youtu.be/QJR7fasYlDw
Current WR by tavenwebb2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVLt...
- My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bismuth9
- My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Bismuthi
- My Discord https://discord.gg/HuVcquK
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/Kosmic
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Kosmicd12
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/kosmicd12
- Warpless WR: https://youtu.be/X4UbpLp7DzU
- Glitchless WR: https://youtu.be/B7Bx5itqUnI
- Minus World Ending WR: https://youtu.be/LC12zZJG8CQ
At 0:47, I refer to the console Kosmic is using as the Nintendo Famicom Disk System. He wasn't actually playing on the Disk System, just the Famicom. The Famicom is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the NES, and the Disk System is an add-on to it that reads special floppy disks.
At 4:06, I mention that Kosmic holds the Glitchless WR with a 5:06.709. However, there is a video by Scott Kesler of a 5:05. This is because of timing differences. Glitchless is how Twin Galaxies (a deprecated high score website) view Super Mario Bros. speedruns, and its timing rules are different. They time from the start press on the title screen, which, because of framerules, adds a variation of up to 21 frames to the time of the run based on which frame you pressed start on. This timing difference adds about 2.5 seconds, so Scott Kesler's 5:05 was actually a high 5:07 by TG rules, and Kosmic's 5:06.709 is a low 5:04 with regular timing.
At 13:15, I say that when the white pixel is missing, the judges are in a bad mood. For the sake of simplicity, I omitted that it's actually a 50/50 of good/bad judges if you don't get the pixel. However, this is frame dependent and not entirely random, and Kosmic rarely gets good judges with the bad pixel, so I took that shortcut.
At 26:35, I claim that the theoretical human limit is 4:55.496. The actual time is 4:55.49668, and it should have been rounded up to 4:55.497.
There is another framerule that was not included because while it is considered too hard for humans to ever get in a run. You can save it by doing a frame perfect fast acceleration at the start of 8-1 (after several seconds of black screen, with inhuman reaction time) to save 2 frames, and then doing a TAS flagpole glitch to save 19 frames instead of 15. TAS flagpole glitch never slows down to set it up and is based around doing a left-right wiggle at some point during the level and praying that it set your position up perfectly. The best consistency at this trick is just about 1%, compared to 40% for regular FPG. On March 4th (2 days after the release of this video), StuckInAPlate managed to save the 8-1 framerule from a savestate immediately before gaining control, which eliminates the need to time your frame perfect inputs after a very long wait. https://youtu.be/J1-xDJrmzFY
Super Mario Bros. Leaderboards: https://www.speedrun.com/smb1
Frame Count spreadsheet (also by me): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
Other speedrunners featured in this video:
- PB: https://youtu.be/Wf9zPeN2va4
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/darbian
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/darbianSRL
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/darbianSRL
- PB: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLCynbwK28
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/somewes
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/somewes
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/somewes
- PB: https://youtu.be/gpyndKa68v8
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/StuckInAPlate
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHvn...
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/StuckInAPlate
EddieCatGaming (4:57.543, tied 8-4 IL WR)
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/eddiecatgaming
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/EddieCat...
- PB: https://youtu.be/_AcrGgPddZY?t=1m22s
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/andrewg1990
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/andrewg1990
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndrewgSpeedrun
HappyLee (Author of the human theory TAS)
- TAS (4:54.03): http://tasvideos.org/1715M.html
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/HappyLee12
Special Thanks, for helping in some manner:
Is it Possible to Beat New Super Mario Bros. U Without Touching a Single Coin?
Super Mario 64 Tool-assisted speedrun world record explained
Is it possible to beat Super Mario 3D World without touching a single coin?
The final minute barrier ever - Super Mario Bros. Warpless World Record Explained
New Super Mario Bros. 'No Power-Ups' World Record Speedrun
VG Myths - Can You Beat Super Mario 3D World Without Jumping?
Is it Possible to Beat Super Mario 64 DS Without Mario?
Super Mario 64 120 star Speedrun World Record in 1:41:12
New Super Mario Bros. U 100% Speedrun in 3:28:35 (Former World Record)
Mario 64 Speedrunner Breaks His Own World Record
Ranking Every Cuphead Boss from Worst to Best [TetraBitGaming]
Pokemon Blue Finished in 25 Minutes
Super Mario Bros. 3 World Record Speedrun
Beta64 - Super Mario World
Can I Beat Super Mario Bros in Under 5 Minutes?
Mario Kart Wii Glitches - Son Of A Glitch - Episode 34
Understanding Mario Odyssey's Multiple Endings
Can Link's Shield Deflect Banzai Bill? - Super Mario Maker 2 Mythbusters [#7]
Minecraft: The Dropper in 6:48 (All 17 Levels)